Sunday, September 27, 2009

Panicking...

Ok, so I've been sick as a dog all weekend and that's made it really difficult to stay caught up on all of the work for this class, but I have been doing some thinking about my Aunt Safiyya paper and I've managed to get some reading done in Anubis.  Here's the deal... I'm not sure this novel is any good for our class.  The way I see it, we are supposed to be studying the people of the Middle East, their culture, religion and general lifestyle.  Well, Anubis started out well, but now that I've moved on to the second part of the book, the main character is full into his spiritual journey in the desert, and his only companions have been gazelle and and mountain goats.  Yeah... 
I still love the book, but I don't think we are supposed to be studying the lives of goats and gazelle.  So I plan on starting my other book, which I know is more character driven, while working my way through the rest of Anubis.  Our group is currently looking for a movie we can use, so that gives us some more material to work with, but I'm a little bit panicked about what we  will be accomplishing within the next three weeks.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you may be right about this. I read another book by the same author and though there is a real focus on the desert, animals, and so on, there is also continued character development. The exploration of nature is interesting in the book I read, _The Bleeding of the Stone_.

    ReplyDelete