Monday, October 12, 2009

Visiting the Mosque




I really enjoyed our trip to the Kalamazoo Islamic Center on Thursday.  I think that religion is one of the most important ways that people find to connect with each other and so it is important to be understanding and open to religions outside of your own.  I had taken a religion class last year that taught me a little bit about Islam, but nothing could compare to being able to hear about the history and meaning behind the religion from the Imam himself, and being able to see the religion in action.  I wish I could have stayed much longer than I did.  
I was very appreciative of  how the Imam was able to explain to us a lot of the  traditions behind Islam and that he took the  time to correct some of the misconceptions that we might have had about the religion.  For example, the ladies' prayer room being separate not because women are separated from men all together but because they want to protect their pride during prayer times.  I was also appreciative that the Imam was able to make so many connections between Christianity and Islam, which helped me in understanding Islam does not reject Christianity,  but rather does not take all of the same views.  All of this conversation was very accommodating and gave me the feeling that all were welcome in the Mosque.  I was happy to see that the Imam, although he is considered a religious leader, is very much just a normal guy, and I thought that the way he conducted himself during our time there was very welcoming, while still giving us the sense that he was serious about his  faith.
I am interested to see more of this faith in action and am very tempted by his invitation to come and join in on prayer one Friday.  

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the hospitality we received, and I think you really should accept the invitation to attend prayer on Friday. Here is their website where you can get a phone number or email to let them know you are thinking of coming... http://www.kiconline.org/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was pretty cool how the Imam made so many connections between Christianity and Islam. It helped me make sense of what he was saying.

    ReplyDelete